Sunday, June 2, 2013

Freewrite - Corporate Affairs



            I straightened my Italian suit and checked my tie against the metallic surface of the elevator. With a soft hiss the elevator rolled open its doors revealing the lands of my domain. Brushing a hand through my maim and hefting my suitcase I began the hunt. Prowling through the law firm I could hear the clicking of my hard leather shoes against the deep mahogany floors that lined my habitat. Stalking to my lair I passed the offices of my pride. The scent of fear permeated the air revealing the presence of “clients”.
            With a flick of the wrist I opened the door to my office. There, the optimum of pathetic sweated a man sitting uncomfortably in the chair facing my desk. He was in his late 40’s, receding hairline, beer belly, and nervous sad face matching the rest of his composure. Coming to me was his lucky day. I would have relished sinking my claws into him if his soon to be ex-wife had come to us instead. Maybe another day, with a sigh I stepped from behind the sweat balls chair to my desk. The quivering mass of masculinity that was my client started at the sight of me.
            Slapping my suitcase onto my marble topped desk and lounging back in my chair I prepared myself. This fool would ramble on and on about the problems of his own creation. I could let him prattle on till he got to the part where he begged me to fix all of his problems. The truth is all of their problems come to the same sad conclusion. They made their bed and now they want someone else to lie in it. Luckily this rodent was broken beyond most of my clients. Walking all over him would only bring him the comfort of familiarity. Pouncing on my chance to end the trivialities I began the hunt.
            “I understand this to be a trying time for you dear Mr. Richard, I want you to know that I it will be my greatest pleasure in helping you. Your wife won’t even know what hit her. The jury won’t even second guess who the better parent is. You will have full custody I can promise you”. By any means necessary. “I truly am sorry to run you so, but I have an important meeting soon. If you will simply go to the front desk Julia will take care of all the details.”
            He began to ramble on in protest futilely trying to regain my attention. A sharp glance sent the worm from my sight, limping out of the room with his wounded pride. The man had no chance without me and he knew it. So the hunt began. It shouldn’t be hard turning up something on the wife. After all she did marry a man like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment